2.18.2011

Ode to the Pizza Stone

I began making pizzas while I was living in New York City. One of my friends was an avid pizza maker and would always tell me when she was making a pizza and what toppings she was going to use. I would usually sit there, with gaping mouth, drooling over her descriptions. She told me about the secret to a "restaurant style" pizza - the pizza stone!

It wasn't long until I was googling "pizza stone" and placed my order with Target for their $13 Bialetti pizza stone and it was worth every penny! Italian sausage, green peppers, pineapple, BBQ chicken, caramalized onion - it didn't seem to matter what the topping - each pizza came out of the oven steaming, perfectly browned, with slightly puffy edges and just the perfect crunch. So do yourself a favor, people, and get a pizza stone. You will not be disappointed!

Hawaiian Pizza

You Will Need:
  • 1 ball of pizza dough (I prefer Whole Foods)
  • 1 1/4 cups pizza sauce (I prefer San Marzano)
  • 1/2 of a 12oz bag of mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
  • 2 slices of smoked deli ham (pulled apart loosely for topping)
  • Fresh basil for topping

Here We Go:
  • Preheat oven to 500 degrees F
  • Roll out dough using your hands or a rolling pin if you have one
  • Place dough on pizza stone or baking sheet
  • Top dough with sauce, cheese and pineapple
















  • Put pizza on top rack in oven and cook for 10-12 minutes
  • Add ham when there are only a few minutes left to ensure it doesn't dry up while cooking
  • Top with fresh basil

Happy Feasting!

No comments: