4.25.2011

Cook the Cover: Simple Pomodoro Sauce

Bon appetit's May issue is entitled "The Italy Issue" and I am in love. I have now read the entire magazine front to back and found so many recipes that I want to try. My husband and I are taking a twenty-two day trip to Europe once he graduates from business school, and Italy is the country where we will be spending the most time while we are abroad. Lucky for us, this issue also told me where the best pasta, gelato and pizza are in Rome - I was drooling while I was reading and jotting down the list.

This simple pomodoro sauce is so easy and unbelievably delicious. Bon appetit says it is "The simplest, silkiest sauce you'll ever make" and I would have to agree with them. This sauce would be great over spaghetti, ravioli or even over top chicken parmigiana.

Source : bon appetit May 2011

You Will Need:
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 28 oz. can peeled tomatoes, puréed in a food processor
  • Kosher salt
  • 3 large fresh basil sprigs
  • 12 oz. bucatini or spaghetti
  • 2 Tbsp. cubed unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan or Pecorino

Here We Go:
  • Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-low heat
  • Add minced onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 12 minutes
  • Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes
  • Add crushed red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute more
  • Increase heat to medium, add puréed tomatoes and season lightly with kosher salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly and the flavors meld, about 20 minutes
  • Remove pan from heat, stir in basil sprigs, and set aside
  • Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a 5-qt. pot
  • Season with salt; add spaghetti or bucatini and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender
  • Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water
  • Discard basil and heat skillet over high heat
  • Stir in reserved pasta water to loosen sauce; bring to a boil
  • Add pasta and cook, stirring, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes
  • Remove pan from heat; add butter and cheese; toss until cheese melts
  • Transfer to warm bowls; serve with more cheese, if desired

Serves 4
Happy Feasting!
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are taking a trip this week and I just picked up this magazine for the plane! This looks great! I can't wait to look through it!

Unknown said...

This looks just great!

Mary Frances said...

Yum! Will you guys be going to Naples when you're in Italy? Naples itself is pretty sketchy as I remember, but hat's where Preston and I had the best pizza I've ever tasted. Oh my gosh - SO SO good.

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

This looks delicious! Crusty bread, salad, galss of wine and this dish and I need nothing else!

The Country Cook said...

Oh my - this looks and sounds so delicious. I've never made pomodoro sauce before. I've eaten a lot of it though...LOL.
I really like the sound of this recipe!

An Alaskan Cooks | Alaska Food and Wine said...

The May issue of Bon Appetite is a stellar one. Thank you for posting your "Cook the Cover" rendition of their dish.

Rebekah said...

Beautiful! It looks wonderful, I'm saving for sure! :)

Erin said...

I get this magazine as well, and have been wanting to make this! This looks delicious!