April is national grilled cheese month, and as this is the last week of the month, I couldn't let the opportunity to have a grilled cheese post go out the window! When I make a grilled cheese I usually go for good ole' American cheese (I know most of you are cringing right now, including my husband), but what would a grilled cheese, the staple American sandwich, be without ooey, gooey, melted American cheese goodness?
Well, it seems that a grilled cheese can survive without American cheese just fine. I used vine ripened tomatoes and amazingly delicious gruyere and monterey jack. Although, I will continue to eat some of my grilled cheeses with American cheese, this grilled cheese is definitely the blue ribbon winner today!
You Will Need:
- 4 slices of bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 slices Gruyere cheese
- 2 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 1 vine ripe tomato
- 2 Tbsp butter
Here We Go:
- Heat a pan over medium-low heat
- Butter one side of each piece of bread
- Place two slices, butter side down, in the pan, top with the cheeses and tomato and the remaining slices of bread, butter side up
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown on both sides; roughly 5-7 minutes