6.01.2011

Coconut Chicken Curry


What a wonderful trip! We got back very late last night from the beautiful island of Curacao. As I dragged myself out of bed this morning and headed to work, I was still dreaming of our days lounging on the beach, snorkeling, afternoon happy hours by the pool and our delicious dinners. Speaking of our dinners, we had many wonderful southern caribbean favorites. The lamb and chicken curry dishes were to die for and the seafood tasted so fresh that I am almost positive it was caught the same day that we were eating it!

Since I don't think I will be able to go back to Curacao anytime in the near future, I at least thought that we could have one more curry feast before the Caribean flavors of our trip are just a distant memory. This coconut chicken curry is mouth-watering delicious. I could of sworn if I closed my eyes hard enough that I was back on the beach in Curacao.


You Will Need:
  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1 tsp salt and pepper, or to taste
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed, diced tomatoes
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 3 Tbsp sugar

Here We Go:
  • Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper 
  • Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes
  • Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more
  • Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil
  • Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear
  • Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes
  • Serve over brown rice with naan bread

Serves 6
Happy Feasting!

1 comment:

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

I am so glad you had such a great trip! This would be a delicious dish to come home to!