There is something about a hearty bowl of soup during the winter months that brings a sense of comfort and also manages to satisfy a full belly. I found this recipe on another one of my go-to food/craft/home blogs, Madaket Market. This soup is the perfect staple to get you through the craziness of the holiday season. It it so simple that it can be made on a weeknight but the flavors make it seem like you simmered it on the stove top for hours. Feel free to substitute any of the vegetables to your liking or even swap the torellini for another type of pasta or rice. We ate ours with fresh "semi-homemade" cornbread muffins.
You Will Need:
- 4 cans (14 1/2 oz each) Italian style stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped, plus liquid
- 2 cans (14 1/2oz each) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced (and/or squash)
- 3/4 pound green beans, snapped and cut into thirds
- 3/4 pound ground Italian sausage, crumbled, browned and drained
- 1 package tortellini with cheese (6-8 ounces)
- 3/4 Tbsp minced garlic
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Here We Go:
- Combine tomatoes plus liquid, broth, basil and pepper in a dutch oven.